Depression is one of the five most common issues that we work with at Equinox Therapeutic clinic. We often help people who have had depression touch their lives somehow through depression counselling. Usually they are:
- Just beginning to realize that they might be experiencing depression
- Already working on recovery from depression
- Wanting “maintenance help” in further strengthening an existing recovery from depression
- A loved one of someone with depression
What Is Depression?
Depression is a common medical condition that negatively affects the way you think, feel, and act. According to depressionhurts.ca about 1 in 10 Canadians will experience a major depressive episode in their lifetime. Depression is more complex than a simple mood change or sign of weakness. It’s a real medical illness with many emotional, behavioural, and cognitive symptoms.
What Are The Symptoms Of Depression?
The symptoms of depression can vary from mild to very severe and include the following:
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in previously enjoyed activities/hobbies
- Trouble sleeping or over-sleeping
- Appetite changes
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Trouble concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
What Types Of Depression Does Equinox Work With?
We work with several types of depression subsets, including:
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Depression as a part of Bipolar Disorder
- Depression as a part of an Adjustment Disorder
- General feelings of low mood, tearfulness, hopelessness, emptiness, lack of motivation, and/or suicidal thoughts, feelings, or behaviours