What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a normal and generally healthy emotion that people have in response to stress. However, some individuals experience anxiety levels that are disproportionate to their environment and that excessive worry, fear, or nervousness might become a medical disorder.
According to Anxiety Canada about 25% of Canadians will experience at least one anxiety disorder in their lifetime. That makes it one of the most prevalent mental health issues in the country which means you’re not alone if you’re struggling with anxiety symptoms.
What Are The Symptoms Of Anxiety?
Anxiety can impact both the body and the mind in a variety of ways but some of the most common symptoms include:
- Uncontrollable feelings of worry or panic
- Increased irritability
- Sleeping difficulties and insomnia
- Feeling restless, nervous, or tense
- Increased heart rate or palpitations
- Difficulty concentrating
- Headaches and dizziness
Can Anxiety Be Treated?
Fortunately there are effective treatment methods available to help those experiencing anxiety change unhealthy thinking and behaviour to reduce symptoms. At Equinox Therapeutic our anxiety therapists specialize in psychotherapy methods like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and EMDR that are proven to be effective in treating anxiety. We work with individuals who:
- Are just beginning to realize that they might be experiencing anxiety
- Are already working on recovery from anxiety
- Are wanting “maintenance help” in further strengthening an existing recovery from anxiety
- Have a loved one with anxiety
Which Types Of Anxiety Do You Treat?
We work with several types of anxiety subsets, including:
- General fearfulness or anxious feelings including Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Panic attacks and Panic Disorder
- Feelings of social anxiousness including Social Anxiety Disorder
- Fear of leaving “safe spaces” including Agoraphobia
- Anxiety about a pain condition including chronic pain
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
To learn more about anxiety therapy or schedule a consultation you can reach our team using the form on the side or by visiting or contact page. You can also talk to our team about depression counselling.