Addictions is one of the five most common issues that we work with at Equinox Therapeutic. This means that we often help people who have had addictions touch their lives somehow. This may mean that they are:
- Contemplating recovery from one or more addictions
- Already working on recovery from one or more addictions
- Wanting “maintenance help” in further strengthening an existing recovery from one or more addictions
- A loved one of someone with an addiction
What Is Addiction?
Addiction is a condition where an individual engages in a substance or behaviour that provides rewarding effects that they will search out repeatedly despite harmful consequences.
We work with many types of addictions, including addictions to substances and addictions to processes. Some examples of these addictions are:
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol
- Eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, orthorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, and exercise addiction
- Self harm behaviours, including cutting, burning, picking, hitting
- Sex addiction
- Gambling addiction
- Compulsive shopping
- Videogaming addiction
What Are The Symptoms Of Addiction?
Addictive disorders are defined by the repeated engagement in activities that lead to impairment or distress. A diagnosis will often be confirmed by the presence of two or more of these symptoms:
- Physiological withdrawal symptoms
- Repeated use despite acknowledging the impact on physical or psychological problems
- Decreased participation in social or work activities
- Use continues even though it’s causing interpersonal problems
- Substance or behaviour disrupts important obligations
- Strong desire or craving to engage in the substance or behaviour
- The desire to change the behaviour but unsuccessful in doing so
- Tolerance occurs demonstrated by the need to increase use of the substance or behaviour
Treatment For Addiction
Addiction is a treatable condition and our team can help with you the process towards recovery. Treatment can include a variety of components but our staff will often utilize behavioural therapy methods like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help individual recognize and cope with the situations that trigger their desire to engage in addictive substances or behaviour. If you’re ready to start making a change you can reach us by using the form on the side our by visiting or contact page.
For more resources you can visit our Edmonton addiction resources page.